Collection and Use
The types of personal information that we collect from you include:
· your name, date of birth, email address, street and postal address, contact numbers(s) and demographic information (ie. Gender, age, postcode, occupation, marital status)
· Vehicle and servicing details including vehicle registration, mileage, purchase details, service and repair history
· Finance details such as financial, insurance or credit information
· Information collected from product research, surveys and marketing campaigns
· payment details (such as credit card details) to the extent that such details include personal information
· data collected as a result of connected services functionality (for details on the extent of information collected as a result of the connected services functionality, please see the standalone Kia Connect Privacy Collection Notice); and
· your preferences for receiving commercial e-mail
Kia also collects personal information about individuals for a range of purposes to enable it to provide Kia Connect services to you. Where Kia Connect data is associated with your vehicle’s VIN and linked to you, Kia will manage this data in the same way it manages personal information.
When using Kia Connect services, Kia collects vehicle data and personal information of the type, and in the circumstances, as set out below:
· Kia Connect modem & Sim data: Network service activation information, the Electronic Serial number of the modem, your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is automatically sent to Kia. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services and to check network service activation.
· User introduced data (via Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App set up): KIA also collects information when customers set up their Kia connect account, including their name, email address, date of birth, phone number, the password, the fact that you accepted the Kia Connect User Terms, the verification PIN, the vehicle identification number (VIN) and the activation code. The data is used to manage your Kia Connect Account (from logging in through the Kia Connect application until the Kia Connect Account is terminated); to provide you with the Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App features; to give you access to our services for which a Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App is required; and to notify you of any updates to the Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App.
· Vehicle functionality status: We collect data on how your vehicle is operated and used (e.g. use of steering, acceleration, seat belt status, operation of internal controls); maintenance data showing status of vehicle systems (e.g. fuel and fluid levels, and engine temperature); diagnostic data (e.g. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and Warning Indicator Light (WILs) when detected). The data is used to provide Kia Connect services; to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Driving information: KIA also collects data on how the vehicle is operated and used (e.g. use of steering, acceleration, seat belt status, operation of internal controls, fuel consumption, speed, use of brake and accelerator pedals, steering wheel movement, general vehicle operating parameters). The data is used to provide Kia Connect services; to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues; and for product research and improvement purposes, including to inform predictive maintenance or repair.
· Location data: We collect information relating to the location of your vehicle, such as Latitude, longitude, speed and travel direction of the vehicle, is collected in real time. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services such as navigation, location sharing, advice about avoiding traffic jams and road hazards, access to “smart parking” information, providing locally relevant information, locating vehicles); to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purpose. We share the vehicle’s location, direction and speed in pseudonymous form with HERE, our third-party real-time traffic information provider. If you opt out of location sharing services, GPS location data will continue to be collected to provide other Kia Connect services.
· Remote vehicle operations (available only when you have downloaded the Kia Connect app and linked it to your vehicle): Once you download the KIA connect app, KIA collects mobile phone information such as number, model, operating system, search content, usage information relating to the Kia Connect app and personal location data. The data is used to enable remote vehicle operations (etc. remote engine start and climate control operation); to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Safety and Security: We may also collect information to protect the safety of our customers. This includes Crash Event Data such as whether airbags have been triggered or whether doors and windows are locked or open, informing emergency services in the event of an accident when the driver is unable to do so. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services; to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Voice recognition data: KIA also collects electronic data derived from your use of voice recognition features in Kia Connect including date, language, TID, NADID, latitude, longitude, VIN, information of audio codec, result of embedded VR engine, degree of temperature in HU(C/F), location. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services (e.g. weather information); to provide you customised service with Kia Connect Account. We share data on an aggregate and on identifying basis with Creance, our third-party provider of automotive voice and AI innovation products.
· Over-the-air update information: KIA also collects current software and firmware versions of your vehicle’s modem and other technical specifications associated with it. The data is used to ensure the vehicle’s modem has all necessary updates.
We collect this information directly and from Kia dealers when you make enquiries with, or purchase products or services from a Kia dealer.
Kia also uses your personal information to assist with repairs and roadside assist, facilitate the sale of Kia parts/ products, send news, information about our activities, products and services, and promotions, which we believe, may be of interest to you; monitor who is accessing the Kia Australia Website or using services offered on the Kia Australia Website; and profile the type of people accessing the Kia Australia Website or are interested in Kia products and services, and promotions. We may collect this information directly and from Kia dealers when you make enquiries with, or purchase products or services from a Kia dealer.
We do not market to children knowingly or knowingly collect personal information about children without parental consent. Children should always ask a parent before sending any transmission over the Internet. Whilst we will make every reasonable effort to ensure that children's privacy and other rights are not compromised, it is ultimately the responsibility of parents to monitor their children's Internet usage.
If we are unable to collect the personal information we require, we may not be able to provide you with the services that depend on the collection of that information or provide you with updates in relation to Kia vehicles, parts, accessories, or Kia services or offers.
In the ordinary course of business, we may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate within Hyundai Motor Group in South Korea, India, Indonesia and Czech Republic.
We engage third party contractors to perform services for us which involve the contractor handling personal information we hold. Where we engage third party contractors to perform services for us, we prohibit the third-party contractor from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it. We may disclose your personal information to a Kia dealer for the purposes of addressing your enquiries or to promote or inform you of Kia products, services and related activities.
From time to time, we may form relationships with other organisations to bring you special offers, competitions, surveys and subscriptions and we may use other service providers in conducting our business. It may be necessary to disclose your personal information to these organisations and service providers.
Other than as set out above, we will not disclose your personal information unless: the disclosure is permitted or required by law; you have consented to our disclosure of the information; in order for us to provide you with our goods and services you are seeking; or we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for government or public security in the performance of their functions.
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose personal information may be located outside Australia. The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances, but may include the United States, Canada, Korea, Singapore, Czech Republic and India.
Access to and correction of information
We need your help in making sure your personal information is correct on our systems. Please e-mail us with your request to correct any incorrect personal information held by us, or to advise us of any changes to your name, address, title, phone number, e-mail address or postal code.
You have rights to access and correct your personal information held by us, subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
If you would like to correct or update your personal information, or seek access to your information, please contact our customer service team at 131 542.
If you wish to comment on or query this privacy statement, or if you wish to make an enquiry regarding any personal information relating to you which may be in our possession, please contact us here.
We utilise cookies which enable us to monitor traffic patterns and to serve you more efficiently if you revisit the site. A cookie does not identify you personally, but it does identify your computer. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, and this will provide you with an opportunity to either accept or reject it in each instance.
Enter your postcode to
view appropriate pricing for your area.