Collection and Use
The types of personal information that we may collect from you include your name, e-mail address, street address and your preferences for receiving commercial e-mail. We may collect this information from Kia dealers when you make enquiries with, or purchase products or services from a Kia dealer. We may use your personal information to: send news, information about our activities, products and services, and promotions, which we believe, may be of interest to you; monitor who is accessing the Kia Australia Website or using services offered on the Kia Australia Website; and profile the type of people accessing the Kia Australia Website or are interested in Kia products and services, and promotions.
We do not market to children knowingly or knowingly collect personal information about children without parental consent. Children should always ask a parent before sending any transmission over the Internet. Whilst we will make every reasonable effort to ensure that children's privacy and other rights are not compromised, it is ultimately the responsibility of parents to monitor their children's Internet usage.
Your personal information may be shared with our related bodies corporate. We may engage third party contractors to perform services for us which involve the contractor handling personal information we hold. Where we engage third party contractors to perform services for us, we prohibit the third party contractor from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it. We may disclose your personal information to a Kia dealer for the purposes of addressing your enquiries or to promote or inform you of Kia products, services and related activities.
From time to time we may form relationships with other organisations to bring you special offers, competitions, surveys and subscriptions and we may use other service providers in conducting our business. It may be necessary to disclose your personal information to these organisations and service providers.
We will not sell, rent or trade your personal information to a third party. Other than as set out above, we will not disclose your personal information unless: the disclosure is permitted or required by law; you have consented to our disclosure of the information; in order for us to provide you with our goods and services you are seeking; or we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for government or public security in the performance of their functions.
We may transfer your personal information to foreign countries when we share your information with our related bodies corporate or service providers. Our parent company Kia Corporation (KMC) based in Seoul may receive and store your personal information, and may not be subject to similar laws to us regarding privacy obligations. Your provision of your personal information to us, Kia dealers or our agents will constitute consent to our disclosure to KMC.
Access to and correction of information
We need your help in making sure your personal information is correct on our systems. Please e-mail us of any changes to your name, address, title, phone number, e-mail address or postal code. You have rights to access your personal information held by us subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). If you would like to correct or update your personal information, or seek access to your information, please contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to comment on or query this privacy statement, or if you wish to make an enquiry regarding any personal information relating to you which may be in our possession, please also email our Privacy Officer at email@example.com.
We consider that compliance with the Privacy Laws and principles as of utmost importance. If you have any complaints, or are concerned that we have breached our privacy obligations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Privacy Officer will contact you, or ensure that the appropriate person within our organisation contacts you for the purposes of addressing your complaint.
We utilise cookies which enable us to monitor traffic patterns and to serve you more efficiently if you revisit the site. A cookie does not identify you personally but it does identify your computer. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie and this will provide you with an opportunity to either accept or reject it in each instance.
Privacy Collection Notice – Kia Connect
Your personal information
Kia Australia Pty Ltd (“Kia”) collects personal information about individuals for a range of purposes to enable it to provide Kia Connect services to you. Where Kia Connect data is associated with your vehicle’s VIN and linked to you, Kia will manage this data in the same way it manages personal information.
APP 5 NOTICE
Our identity and contact details
Kia Australia Pty Ltd. Our registered address is located at Locked bag 2207, North Ryde, BC NSW 1670.
Phone: 131KIA(131542) Fax: 131KIA(131542)
Facts & circumstances of collection of your personal information
When you use Kia Connect services, Kia collects vehicle data and personal information of the type, and in the circumstances, as set out below.
· Kia Connect modem & SIM data – for example, network service activation information, the Electronic Serial Number of the modem (ESN), SIM serial number (ICCID) and your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is automatically sent to Kia. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services and to check network service activation.
· User introduced data (via Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App set up) – for example, Name, email address, date of birth, phone number, the password, the fact that you accepted the Kia Connect User Terms, the verification PIN, the vehicle identification number (VIN) and the activation code. The data is used to manage your Kia Connect Account (from logging in through the Kia Connect application until the Kia Connect Account is terminated); to provide you with the Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App features; to give you access to our services for which a Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App is required; and to notify you of any updates to the Kia Connect Account or Kia Connect App.
· Vehicle functionality status – for example, data on how the vehicle is operated and used (e.g. use of steering, acceleration, seat belt status, operation of internal controls); maintenance data showing status of vehicle systems (e.g. fuel and fluid levels, and engine temperature); diagnostic data (e.g. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and Warning Indicator Light (WILs) when detected). The data is used to provide Kia Connect services;
to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Driving information – for example, data on how the vehicle is operated and used (e.g. use of steering, acceleration, seat belt status, operation of internal controls, fuel consumption, speed, use of brake and accelerator pedals, steering wheel movement, general vehicle operating parameters. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services; to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes including to inform predictive maintenance or repair.
· Location data – for example, Latitude, longitude, speed and travel direction of vehicle is collected in real time. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services such as navigation, advice about avoiding traffic jams and road hazards, access to “smart parking” information, providing locally relevant information, locating vehicles); to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Remote vehicle operations (available only when you have downloaded the Kia Connect app and linked it to your vehicle) – for example, mobile phone information such as number, model, operating system, search content, usage information relating to the Kia Connect app and personal location data. The data is used to enable remote vehicle operations (e.g. remote engine start and climate control operation); to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Safety and security – for example, Crash Event Data such as whether airbags have been triggered or whether doors and windows are locked or open, informing emergency services in the event of an accident when the driver is unable to do so. The data is used to provide Kia Connect services; to better understand and troubleshoot vehicle performance issues and for product research and improvement purposes.
· Over-the-air update information – for example, current software and firmware versions of the vehicle’s modem and other technical specifications associated with it. The data is used to ensure the vehicle’s modem has all necessary updates.
If collection of your personal information is required or authorised by law
If we are collecting your personal information for the conduct of a safety recall under the Competition & Consumer Act (Cth) 2010, collection of your personal information from Government entities may be required or authorised by law, or be otherwise necessary to conduct the safety recall.
Why does Kia collect your personal information?
In general, we collect your personal information to use and disclose for the purposes of managing our relationship with you and providing services relating to your vehicle. We also collect your personal information for any purposes which you consent, and as otherwise authorised or required by law.
Some of the specific purposes for which we collect, use and disclose personal information are:
· to allow you to control certain vehicle features and to provide you with Kia Connect services;
· to fulfil your requests and deal with your enquiries;
· to personalise your experience and the communications you receive;
· to manage and improve our business and our relationship with you;
· to assess the quality of the services we and our dealers provide, and the services our suppliers provide to us or on our behalf;
· to provide over-the-air updates to Kia Connect software or firmware;
· to provide connectivity services (e.g. Live Traffic);
· to assist our third-party service providers perform services in connection with the vehicle (e.g. roadside assistance providers).
· for troubleshooting purposes;
· to carry out remote diagnostics activities;
· to predict which Kia products or services could be of interest to you;
· to direct market to you where you have consented to us doing so, or it is otherwise permitted by law; and
· to conduct research and develop new and improved products, services, and business and marketing strategies.
The consequences if Kia did not collect your personal information
If we are unable to collect personal information we require, we may not be able to provide you with the services that depend on the collection of that information or advise you of information in relation to Kia vehicles, parts, accessories, or Kia services or offers.
Who will Kia disclose your personal information to?
Generally, Kia may disclose your personal information to third parties in connection with the purposes described above. Usually, we may disclose your personal information to our authorised Kia dealers and third-party service providers such as emergency responders or roadside assistance providers.
Access to and correction of your personal information
Likely overseas disclosure of your personal information
Connected vehicle data may be transmitted from the Kia Connect modem to Hyundai Motor Company (our parent company) in Korea. When this occurs, the data is stored in Kia’s data processing and storage locations including Kia servers and third-party cloud infrastructure, located in Korea and Singapore. In the ordinary course of business, we may disclose personal information to our related companies within Hyundai Motor Group in South Korea, India and Czech Republic. Some of the third parties to whom we disclose personal information may be located outside Australia. The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances, but may include the United States, Canada and India.
We may modify or update this information from time to time.
Enter your postcode to
view appropriate pricing for your area.